Creating A Memorable Cocktail Hour
The wedding ceremony has concluded! It is now time for cocktails! Who doesn’t love a fabulous cocktail hour?
Ice sculptures, passed hors-d’oeuvres, chef stations, and signature drinks, all lends to the perfect setting that creates a memorable cocktail hour.
The cocktail hour is the kickoff to a wonderful and momentous occasion and a chance to mix and mingle with friends and family. This pre-reception event sets the tone for the evening and it is the perfect opportunity to show off your personal wedding style.
There’s no limit to what you can do to set your cocktail hour apart. Personalize your event with hot new trends and be vigilant about incorporating all of the little details.
Then watch the “wow factor” take effect. Your guests will be blown away.
When planning your cocktail hour, be sure to keep it in line with your overall wedding theme. Here are some great ideas to make your cocktail hour memorable:
- Host your cocktail hour in a separate room from your reception. Your guests will see the cocktail hour room before the reception location; this gives you the opportunity to really showcase your theme and décor. Make this a fabulous space in and of itself, one that has its own distinct personality. Utilize high tables and bar stools, which allows guest to mingle.
- Color Palette – Switch up your color scheme by reversing the reception decor: If your wedding colors are purple with gold and white accents, use gold as the dominant hue for the cocktail area (working in hints of purple and white).
- Dazzle Them With Décor – The cocktail area is just as important as the reception; utilize candles, floral, crystals and a little bling to bring life to the cocktail space.
- Create A Signature Drink – There are no limits to creativity. Match your signature drink with your wedding theme. For a fall-themed wedding, for example, you may want to consider a glamorous Pometini (Pomegranate Martini). Feel free to match colors from your wedding with the color of your signature drink.
- Keeping Things in Harmony – Choose food and drink selections that complement each other. After choosing your menu for the cocktail hour, select beverages that will complement menu selections. For example if you plan on serving Hors d’ oeuvres with a Mexican flair then flavored Margaritas, Pina Coladas and Sangria are obvious choices.
- Theme – For an Asian Theme as an example incorporate Cherry blossoms and the beautifully Asian symbol of love and affection throughout the cocktail space. Chinese lanterns can be incorporated into the space at varying heights to give added depth and dimension to the space. For appetizers Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce for Shrimp Shumai with Ponzu Dipping Sauce. The signature drink a Passion fruit Saketini.
- Incorporating professional wedding photo booths, cigar rolling, caricature artists, steel drum tropical band or brightly costumed, interactive dancers to perform a feature dance then mingle with your guests are also great ideas for keeping your guests entertained during cocktail hour.
Set the stage by keeping your cocktail hour fun and festive. Creativity is the key and don’t forget to let your personal vision and style shine vividly.
Need an experienced and professional wedding planner? Visit us at KYM SIGNATURE | PREMIER SAVANNAH WEDDING PLANNERS
About The Author: Karen Y. Moore is an award winning wedding planner and the Lead Planner of KYM Signature (http://kymsignature.com). Karen is also the author of The Keep It Sweet & Simple (KISS) Method of Wedding Planning (http://thekissmethod.com).